• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weather apps

Paul Collins

For about 5 years I've been using an app called Arcus weather and it's proved invaluable. It appears to have died, last update 2016, so I'm looking for another app to replace it.
I particularly liked that it was free, locations, up to 2 remote and present location were available, present time, 24 hourly and daily forecasts for a week. Very accurate rainfall predictions including rain start and stop times, wind direction and strength forecasts hourly and sunrise/ sunset times.
Can anyone recommend anything similar please?

For about 5 years I've been using an app called Arcus weather and it's proved invaluable. It appears to have died, last update 2016, so I'm looking for another app to replace it.
I particularly liked that it was free, locations, up to 2 remote and present location were available, present time, 24 hourly and daily forecasts for a week. Very accurate rainfall predictions including rain start and stop times, wind direction and strength forecasts hourly and sunrise/ sunset times.
Can anyone recommend anything similar please?
XCWEATHER

BBC weather app offers local forecasts. It gives a week ahead shows temp, wind speed and direction and predicted rain hourly. Tap any hour and it also gives pressure.
I have selected six different fishing locations so I can check them all, then look at the EA river reports, and decide when and where to go in the coming week.

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Installed XC weather and it seems pretty good. However I was out yesterday and found the lack of an extremely detailed short range forecast extremely frustrating, having got used to this feature, i.e ' light rain starting in 15 minutes and stopping 25 minutes later'
When I say Arcus had died it did still work occasionally but was very slow to load, if at all but still worked well when it did.
Scratching my head I tried disabling Adblock and lo and behold, loads quickly and just as good as ever. Experimented a bit and it was definitely the Adblock, have whitelisted Arcus now and all is good.
So, if you have an Android phone get yourselves over to the Play store and install Arcus weather and give it a try, without an adblocker.

I was under the impression anglers look at a range of weather forecasts until they find what they want to see. I use Met and find the BBC to be unreliable on wind speeds since they dropped the Met. The Beeb's description of wind is so misleading especially the phrase 'gentle breeze' which is often just short of a gale.

The BBC app is a bit of a harbinger of doom in my fishing area (Hants Avon & Dorset Stour). It’s never quite as bad as it makes out...

The Met Office is accurate the majority of the time, but occasionally seems like they’ve got someone looking out of a window, updating according to what was happening 15 mins before. Looking forward to trying some alternative suggestions...

I listened to the Inside Science Podcast about weather forecasting recently and whilst I sympathise with the fact that weather forecasts are fallible, I reserve the right to be angry when I take a brolly and don’t need it or vise versa.

I have been using dark sky which has a free version or a paid one which is about £3 a year, find it good for short rang stuff.

I’ve got bbc,met office and accuweather on my phone and the forecasts vary( I think bbc is more or less the same as accuweather)but as Edward stated a gentle breeze turned out to be just short of a gale on Sunday (26th),I only took a lightweight brolly and really struggled in a “gentle breeze” 🌪:(

As a professional seafarer accurate forecasts are very important. This web based forecast is the most accurate that I've found. Works for inland locations too and you can select the 'hour by hour' tab.

No app I looked at forecasted the 45mph gusts I was subjected to at noon yesterday. It was the first time in years I have admitted defeat as I could not find a sheltered area either side of the river. I didn't mind too much as I had started fishing well before dawn.

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Installed XC weather and it seems pretty good. However I was out yesterday and found the lack of an extremely detailed short range forecast extremely frustrating, having got used to this feature, i.e ' light rain starting in 15 minutes and stopping 25 minutes later'
When I say Arcus had died it did still work occasionally but was very slow to load, if at all but still worked well when it did.
Scratching my head I tried disabling Adblock and lo and behold, loads quickly and just as good as ever. Experimented a bit and it was definitely the Adblock, have whitelisted Arcus now and all is good.
So, if you have an Android phone get yourselves over to the Play store and install Arcus weather and give it a try, without an adblocker.
Paul
I went on Play store and see their is a version for Arcus full no ads I was just about to buy it but wondered ?? is this the version that gave you problems ??? confused.com

I use the free version. It works fine and the ads aren't intrusive.
Thanks Paul I paid the £2.29 for the top version as for me it was well worth it to get the 10 custom location memory slots and the extra 30 min data updates and of course the no adds too thanks for posting up about it
I already had Wunderground that was very good but it had been playing up recently and I had XC Weather too thats also very good

but must say I Think the features of Arcus weather makes it the very best of the bunch so cheers mate

Back