• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New barbel rod

Michael Radford

Does anybody have an opinion on the advanta dual 2.25/2.75 12ft rods angling direct make them i think i am looking for someting a bit more beefy than my greys 2.25 forbigger feeders etc up to 8oz

Does anybody have an opinion on the advanta dual 2.25/2.75 12ft rods angling direct make them i think i am looking for someting a bit more beefy than my greys 2.25 forbigger feeders etc up to 8oz
Hi Mike,
Hope you are enjoying your Barbel fishing. The rod you mention seems like an OK piece of kit, (I don't have one or even seen one) but from the blurb ...it's slim, has a nice ground blank, two white tips, all cork handle etc. The only thing the guides are not top quality , but that probably doesn't matter a lot, but the diameters of the end ring is, all the crud we pick up from floods is a pain, so make sure they are big enough to clear.
I fish a flooded Severn and have never had to use 8oz of anything, the most I use is possibly 4oz and fish slacks or a big loop in the line, but the Trent lads would be better placed to give advice on that.
p.s I use 2.25's Drennan's and find them good for floods, perhaps what you already own is enough?

2nd that 13ft korum 2.5,s v.useful nearly always sold out , I have the older 2 section version put some sea fishing reflective red tape on the white tip stands out even more , only ware the handle is a bit chipped due to my own ham fisted ness, has landed quite a few barbel on a big river , with good sized weights and sometimes a good flow with various rubbish trundling down .

Thanks for the replys lads i have a greys prodigy 2.25 and a diawa infinity 1.75 i fished a flooded severn in september and needed 6oz ( couldnt find a slack ) and recently watched a u tube film of the trent and they were using 6oz feeders. I looked at the korum 2.5 but as stated was sold out. I have since found that the advanta only casts up to 3oz. One question is the korum 13ft 2piece or 3piece

Thanks for the replys lads i have a greys prodigy 2.25 and a diawa infinity 1.75 i fished a flooded severn in september and needed 6oz ( couldnt find a slack ) and recently watched a u tube film of the trent and they were using 6oz feeders. I looked at the korum 2.5 but as stated was sold out. I have since found that the advanta only casts up to 3oz. One question is the korum 13ft 2piece or 3piece
Think the new one is 3 piece , would be easier to transport than the two piece older one , only seenit available from e-bay from Germany new with quite a bit of postage, know problem casting heavy weights and feeders, without being a poker tip wise .

Mike, so you have fished a flooded Severn, it sure is a beast, not sure how you managed not to find a slack mate, there's one behind every bush or tree, they really can be caught that close in.

Hi terry. Love the 7 my favourite river i come from cambridge to it. My wife has a bit of dementia and i dont like to go too far away for too long so i booked a month in a chalet with river frontage and took her with me in september . After 3 days the river rose to 4m plus and no slack in the garden it stayed between 3m and 4m for whole month had 5 fish from garden before it rose biggest 10lb 15oz p.b for me found a slack not far away on my last week place called the trolls upstream of bewdley but it was a snag pit lost at least £50 worth of tackle but caught a few fish. Hope to go again next sept.

Back