• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeders for the Wye

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I’m off to the Wye in the coming weeks and having hardly ever fished it so would really appreciate some advice.

By the sounds of it I need to be taking plenty of feeders with me (or should I stick to my trusted PVA?). Can anyone recommend a good option and suggest what size/weight I’ll need please?

If anyone has any advice for a good Wye feeder mix I’d appreciate it as well…

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

Andy,
You need to look at the weather forecast to get an idea what level the river is likely to be at. When I went last it was low and 2ozs held easily.

Hi Andy,
When I was down last Friday I needed 3oz and a bow in the line to hold. That was downstream of Ross with the river running very slightly up from my previous visit . There are lads on here far more qualified to comment but that is my “go to” feeder when I visit. As for feeder mix, I just use scalded pellet with plenty of added “pong”!!
Regards
Bill

Hi Andy
Andy Witham, who used to be on here, makes superb feeders for the Wye, they're indestructible, come in a range of sizes and great value. I've got a contact number for him, if you want it?
Mix wise, Hinders Barbel Bomb groundbait is very good, with some of the matching liquid😎
Good luck!

Hi Andy, I will be down next week and using the same setup that I used last year , I make my own feeders from Brown Plastic tubular plant protectors, ranging from 1oz to 4 oz, they are rigid but bend and flex , so if they get into a snag 9 out of ten times they ping out easily.They are weighted with lead strip, so if they need a bit more to hold bottom I just add another strip.
So far as groundbait is concerned, l wont pay the ridiculous prices for off the shelf bags, I use Brown Crumb, mixed with feed haibut pellets and hempseed which I cook in a flask, using the water the hemp was cooked in to wet the mix. Sometimes I also add sweetcorn if things are a bit slow, the sweetcorn seems to attract the Chub, although when they are between 3-6 lbs thats no bad thing really.

I have had reasonable success with the above and see no reason to change what isnt broken. Last year my first three fish of the week were all doubles also had numerous others , non smaller than 6lb, all to Hair rigged pellet,

Dave

Andy, imo you can keep it really simple, I just use 50g black cap feeders filled with a mix of 3mm and 4mm halibut pellets, you need a selection of cow leads up to 3oz to add on depending on the conditions.

Andy, imo you can keep it really simple, I just use 50g black cap feeders filled with a mix of 3mm and 4mm halibut pellets, you need a selection of cow leads up to 3oz to add on depending on the conditions.

Thanks Cliff - are these what you mean by black cap feeders?

I would highly recommend guru grip mesh feeders which are designed to rise to the surface quickly when you
reel in avoiding all the rocky snags in the wye

Korum river feeders are excellent Andy.
Low dimensions and grippy dimples on the weight are just the ticket for rivers like the Wye. Afaik they do them in plenty of sizes

Reading all the above, and also taking my own experiences into account it seems safe to say that all methods work , so long as you are familiar with them.Commercially made feeder, Home made Open end Feeder, "Black Cap "feeder, PVA bagged particles, all have their day, so I would say choose a method you are comfortable with and concentrate on honing your skills to it.

Dave

Every stretch hold Barbel, and it really doesn't matter what feeder you select, the fish ain't fussy pampered pets. Personally I wouldn't consider PVA OK for delicate feeding but not for the Wye where you need to get some feed down quickly and in quantity. However with the river so low and clear it wont be a walk in the park. Look for deeper holes near bank side, often produce a bigger fish with a big lump of meat.
Woody can put you on fish, but trust your own skill set. Be prepared for long biteless hours ,interrupted by frantic feeding spells.
Good luck on the awsome Wye.

Kamasan quote....:rolleyes: ha !
"The Kamasan Large Black Cap Feeders come in three different weights. This allows you to choose the perfect weight for your setup, as well as for the conditions on the water. The lightest weighted feeder is 30g. This is perfect for when you have a small current to contend with, as it will ensure that your feeder is pulled through the water quickly without experiencing too much drift through the water column before it comes to rest on the bottom. Next up is a 40g option. This is ideal for when the current is that little bit stronger, as it ensures that your feeder will remain anchored on the bottom. When you’re fishing in running water, one of the biggest issues that you have to contend with is your tackle being pulled downstream and out of position. The weights on these feeders ensure that the risk of this is minimised. Finally, the largest feeder is 50g in weight. This is perfect for fishing in floodwater conditions, when the river will be at its deepest and fastest flowing.!

If it moves far more likely to lose it and 50g i
n flood, 9 out of 10 will.

Thanks again for all the advice on feeders.

Convinced that I'd be loosing a feeder every other cast in the Wye's rocky bottom, I ended up ordering some of everything mentioned above (plus more). Turns out I only needed 2 (one for each rod) as I didn't loose any! I used the Guru jobs which seemed to do the job and stayed tangle free over the two days.

Cheers,

Andy

Back