• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hirisi or similar chinese reels

Joe, I have some shimano gte 5000c which I purchased off this site, they were in super cosmetic order but the clutches were far from smooth. Felindre serviced them and they are now very good. I also had a pair of 8000 Gtea's which were wonderful. But lots of people comment that new shimanos are not as good.
I only want these new reels for occasional crucian and tench fishing so thought I would look at these Chinese models. Like others on here, I believe a lot of well known branded reels are actually Chinese made but with a big mark up.

Joe, I have some shimano gte 5000c which I purchased off this site, they were in super cosmetic order but the clutches were far from smooth. Felindre serviced them and they are now very good. I also had a pair of 8000 Gtea's which were wonderful. But lots of people comment that new shimanos are not as good.
I only want these new reels for occasional crucian and tench fishing so thought I would look at these Chinese models. Like others on here, I believe a lot of well known branded reels are actually Chinese made but with a big mark up.

I used the 5000/6000 GTE's and RE's for many years and always found the rear drags a bit 'snatchy'. The front drag's are a lot smoother I've found.

I'm looking on that Aliexpress and there's not a Chinese reel for less than I'd normally pay for a second-hand reel on Gumtree, to collect locally, or at a car boot sale. Most of my major tackle (except line and hooks) comes from Gumtree, especially job lots when people get rid of departed dad's tackle.

And my best barbel rods are 20-y-o 2lb t/c carp rods.

Good job not everyone's like me or there'd be very little tackle industry! What's the opposite of a tackle tart?

Last edited:

I did hear a rumour that the Carp boys were finding that the cheap Cyprinus stuff was turning up and when you peeled off the label it was branded tracker, which was like twice the price. I brought a China radiator for my car to replace the branded one for £65, the branded was £130. When it turned up it was branded, box and all as the branded one.

It depends on what you mean by cheap, but these should be good if they are anything like the P3000 I have. I have a ebay bid on a X Aero 2500, and if I don't win I'll be getting 2 of these

Checking out Yumoshi reels on Ebay today, which seems to be cheaper than Alibaba, there were some plastic spooled models for £3 which looked suspiciously like Daiwa models being sold here for about £60.
Of course the Daiwa ones might be higher quality versions of the same models, but I doubt it.
To repeat my earlier thoughts I sincerely believe that we have been paying vastly inflated prices for inferior Chinese made reels and have been ripped off.
Shimanos, I have no knowledge of but compared to Daiwa reels we are paying about 1000% more than we need to for the same reels.
"It's the profit that makes them so expensive"

Last edited:
To be honest I am not sure what these reels will be like, but at under £30 for a pair it is worth a go. A service for a second hand shimano would cost me much more than that.

I've always believed that Daiwa make the better rods and Shimano the better reels
I'm sure there's a cheap Chinese reel that's built and performs well and lasts though.
Honestly? No I don't think there is, their whole philosophy is to package up what appears to be a good product but has no durability and a short life . Gearing in reels may as well be made out of chocolate, and forget the number of ball bearings claim, meaningless. But if the things last beyond expectations then fine.
This whole security thing with Huawei is a prime example, to think they have embedded spyware embedded in their equipment and potentially offers a security risk is real...and the UK Government think it is worth the risk?
I don't.

Totally Neil.
I myself only buy Quality fishing gear,
My job for years has has been working with motorcycles from top of the draw Thirty grand Ducati to Chinese scooters.And what I've found with the Chinese bikes is most of the various makes that they name them most of them are complete and utter Çrap using the most cheapest parts,But there's one or two of them one being lexmoto that that has almost the the same quality of there Japanese counterparts.l supose you have to take a chance really when pinging your £15.
Chinese reels. No not for me.

Fished a new club lake at the weekend which has a ban on braided mainline. As both my fixed spool reels have braid on I put a bit of nylon on one but as I like this lake and will be fishing it a fair bit a dedicated nylon reel is needed and the braid reels can return to Salmon duty. So today I had no hesitation in looking out another Yumoshi and have just ordered another 4000 size one in a rather snazzy black and green colour combination. Despatched from London for less than a tenner, delivery next week.
Incidentally I've noticed that most of the Yumoshi reels are dispatched from Hong Kong, what that means I have no idea but they're a trusted brand to me now.
This one.

Also I've bought quite a few fly rods, reels and lines from a Chinese company, through Ebay, called Maxcatch.
Great quality, very cheap prices, another trusted brand for me now.
Latest purchase was a nanotech resin carbon fibre fly rod 10' #7. Most of the big name manufacturers have equivalent offerings at between 6 and 800 pounds, Hardy / Guideline etc.
This is exactly the same weight as the £800 Hardy, is finished as well as any rod ever could be and cost me £140 with a free reel spool a line and 2 hats!
Shame they don't do much coarse tackle.

Fished a new club lake at the weekend which has a ban on braided mainline. As both my fixed spool reels have braid on I put a bit of nylon on one but as I like this lake and will be fishing it a fair bit a dedicated nylon reel is needed and the braid reels can return to Salmon duty. So today I had no hesitation in looking out another Yumoshi and have just ordered another 4000 size one in a rather snazzy black and green colour combination. Despatched from London for less than a tenner, delivery next week.
Incidentally I've noticed that most of the Yumoshi reels are dispatched from Hong Kong, what that means I have no idea but they're a trusted brand to me now.
This one.

Also I've bought quite a few fly rods, reels and lines from a Chinese company, through Ebay, called Maxcatch.
Great quality, very cheap prices, another trusted brand for me now.
Latest purchase was a nanotech resin carbon fibre fly rod 10' #7. Most of the big name manufacturers have equivalent offerings at between 6 and 800 pounds, Hardy / Guideline etc.
This is exactly the same weight as the £800 Hardy, is finished as well as any rod ever could be and cost me £140 with a free reel spool a line and 2 hats!
Shame they don't do much coarse tackle.
I thought part of watercraft was being stealthy , that reel is LOUD.

so what size Chinese reel would be good for a 10ft shimano forcemaster rod using it for carp and tench float fishing

Hi Ray,
I intend using them for float or feeder fishing for crucians and tench. So will be using 4 and 6lb main line. So I have ordered the Hirisi 4000 based on the line capacity stated. Also I wanted a baitrunner facility.
They are due to arrive at the end of the month and I will report then if I think I have made a good buy.

Bought a tronix pro reel last year for about £65.00 for cod fishing from the shore , did not last the winter, two cheap Chinese 9000 reels still going strong ,still use mainly second hand Daiwa and okuma reels for barbel lfishing.

Bought a tronix pro reel last year for about £65.00 for cod fishing from the shore , did not last the winter, two cheap Chinese 9000 reels still going strong ,still use mainly second hand Daiwa and okuma reels for barbel lfishing.

Ive got 2 okuma longbow that i plan to use for barbel this season. I got them From ebay about £19 each with spare spool. I have to say for the money they are excellent.

Hi guys,
Just an update on this thread. I ordered the two reels on June 2nd from China. They arrived today 16th, very well packed and protected. They look very impressive with a metal body and chrome handle and they feel very smooth in action. I will spool up and test them next week and give you a report.

Back