• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New member questions.

Michael Radford

First year barbel fishing need help. Am a senior citizen and semi disabled so need to drive close to river. Joined Baa and live cambridgeshire. I have been going to arley on the seven on day trips a 2hour drive and have caught a few small fish in the low water conditions I have been checking water levels on internet and saw the river rising this week and decided to go Friday to arley I arrived at 8.30 to find only 3 swims left the worst 3 ( is this normal when the water rises) also the river was very coloured with lots of weed and leaves clogging the line does it normally fish when it's that dirty. I never had a bite all day but some people in the better swims caught some fish. The river was 1Mtr up from previous and rising what's the ideal height to look for. Any tips on venue and conditions would be welcome.

Hi Michael, look for swims with a bit of slack off the main flow .. on or just inside the 'crease'. Yes, at summer's end, the first 'flush through' can fish really well ... if, but only if, you drop on barbel. Barbel will be on the munch though, wishing to feed-up for the winter ahead. Keep safe, and (if possible) keep mobile. That said, I appreciate that being (semi) disabled will limit your options. Don't be afraid to place your bait within 1 rod length of bank. BAA's got loads of stretches, Arley being one of THE most popular.

Firstly Welcome to BFW. I don't live in your area but am sure someone will be along soon to help you.

Would be far easier to fish it on the drop, hopefully most of the trees/weed/dead sheep and other debris will be gone.

Thanks for the replys guys.i think what suprised me most was the amount of anglers out on a friday and not having much choice of swims i live on th gt ouse and 1 angler would be a talking point. I have been to arley before and the gates been closed and had to come away are there any other easy access venues around on a day ticket or join a club.

Hi Michael

Verulam angling club has a stretch of the upper lea that will might be closer, it’s at wheathampsted near St Albans, called Marford Farm. A short walk from the car park to a paved path alongside the river. Not everyone’s cup of tea - it gets busy, to get “the” swims you’ll need to get there early and on some days be lucky in the draw but the other swims have fish in them as well.

They’ve got another stretch not far from there that’s shallower but quieter and has plenty of fish in it, not such easy access. It’s called Leasey Bridge.

Both are members only no day tickets, there’s no guest tickets on Marford

Where about was you fishing at arley? I’m surprised it was that busy as it hasn’t had anywhere near the amount of anglers up there this season as previous ones. I was gonna go up myself Friday but ended up goin to bewdley instead. I went to arley Thursday in the rain and surprisingly there was no one there when I got there and one car left when I left completely drenched through

Hi jon.
We went to the 2 baa fields right of the footbridge the water was up to 1.25 mtrs so some of the swims were under water. I think there was about 10 anglers already there. We then went to meadow farm and 6 had pre paid there and they weren't keen for us to go there so we went back to baa and made the best of it. By the way do any of the deeper swims in the second field fish

Hi again jon.
From the sound of it you must be local i am having a week at bewdley from 6th oct do you know how blackstone rock fishes for barbel

Hi david .
Thanks for that any idea how much membership is and availability.

Hi Michael

Here’s a link.

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/subscriptions.hmm

There’s no waiting list. Its not cheap but they have access to a lot of waters, some exclusive, some shared

This list isn’t up to date, they’ve got more river fishing than this but the barbel fishing on the new venues isn’t easy, same goes for the fisheries they list except for the upper lea.

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/Fisheries.htm

Hi jon.
We went to the 2 baa fields right of the footbridge the water was up to 1.25 mtrs so some of the swims were under water. I think there was about 10 anglers already there. We then went to meadow farm and 6 had pre paid there and they weren't keen for us to go there so we went back to baa and made the best of it. By the way do any of the deeper swims in the second field fish

So I’m assuming you were fishing the right bank? Don’t venture over that side very often to be fair so wouldn’t know which pegs do well when it’s up but your right about some pegs become unfishable.
As for blackstone iv not fished there for a while but do go to ribbesford occasionally. The mechanic I use fishes blackstone and does quite well there. Iv always found that even though there isn’t much distance between arley and bewdley I would always catch way more at arley. The average size at bewdley was always bigger though. Sorry I can’t be of more help

Hi Michael

Here’s a link.

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/subscriptions.hmm

There’s no waiting list. Its not cheap but they have access to a lot of waters, some exclusive, some shared

This list isn’t up to date, they’ve got more river fishing than this but the barbel fishing on the new venues isn’t easy, same goes for the fisheries they list except for the upper lea.

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/Fisheries.htm
Hi Michael
I'm also a Verulam member, Marford does get busy but not THAT busy, especially in the winter.
Leasey bridge is far less busy and some swims are literally in the car park and the furthest swim is no more than 350 yards.
Best news though is half price tickets from Oct 1st.
From Cambridge the Ivel is practically local (Biggleswade) and several Ouse stretches too. No crowds there now.
Fishers green if you want to sit it out for a biggie.
It's a great club.

Hi Michael have been a member of marford in the past and it gets stupid busy in the summer so much so there is a draw for swims. Because everyone wants to fish swims 8-12 it's like shooting fish in a barrel ....best fished in the winter as there are also from very nice roach to be had... There is the long walk side which in my opinion is better ...natural swims not roped off platforms ....it's called the long walk but it's not that bad ...also above leasey bridge there is a free stretch at
batford....if you don't mind traveling you could get your name down forAshfield angling club they have some very prolific stretches on the Trent where you can park behind your swims ....also if you are a member of the barbel society you can get a ticket for Sutton on Trent where you can also park behind your swims weather permitting.
Unfortunately the Ouse and Ivel are all but finished for barbel there are still fish to be had but it would be a slog.
There is also kings weir at near hoddesdon that can be fished day ticket again not an easy venue but does turn up some very big fish...... If you do fish kings weir try and book a swim called EB1
Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. Went to collingham on the trent tuesday fished peg 76 my mate 77 biteless all day 10 till 6.30 first frost of the year might have made a difference. Drive to pegs though

Back