• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bivvys on the banks.

What about the chest waders,so you can stand in the margins with a '30' for a trophy shot. Copious amounts of funny smelling 'baccy' is also required. Finished a 48hr tench session yesterday amongst the hordes of long stay carpers,not really my cup of tea,but close season tenching was calling.

Very good to meet you this week Mark and clearly you have the same passions and ideals as me when it comes to how we should behave on the bank. Just started catching tench today... But as I thought as soon as I got a bit of peace and quiet in in the corner of smiths it now looks like all hell is going to break out in front of me.

It's no wonder anglers keep stum on waters when they find a bit of nirvana....there is still a few waters out there but I can't help but feel the likes of linear that do have excellent fishing let the minority get away with affecting how others fish.

Very good to meet you this week Mark and clearly you have the same passions and ideals as me when it comes to how we should behave on the bank. Just started catching tench today... But as I thought as soon as I got a bit of peace and quiet in in the corner of smiths it now looks like all hell is going to break out in front of me.

It's no wonder anglers keep stum on waters when they find a bit of nirvana....there is still a few waters out there but I can't help but feel the likes of linear that do have excellent fishing let the minority get away with affecting how others fish.
Good to meet you too Jason. I'm glad you've managed some tench,maybe the carp have vacated the swim finally. My swim was just 'carp central', I think my baitrunners are now burnt out. Probably over 25 takes in 36 hrs,only managed to get 14/15 of those in,tench gear well under gunned for angry post spawned carp.

Linear yeah,it's quite a conundrum,the fish of dreams are certainly there,but it's the busiest fishery on earth! A victim of its own success. Where else does a midlander go for big tench,that isn't dominated by carp carp carp. Answers on a postcard.....

Is it any wonder that angling doesn't have the political presence it should have with the amount of anglers in this country that are so interested in what others do and are only to willing to criticise other anglers, do your own thing and let others do the same and maybe we will all get on together better.

Bang on Graham.

Fishing is many different things to many different people.

I don't see many "bivvy dwellers" coming on here and pissing on other peoples fires.

Some people could be accused of "angling snobbery"!!

It's mostly a bit of fun Bob :)

I fish out a bivvy a lot when I'm doing weekends or over nighters while eel fishing . Can't see why you need one for a few hrs fishing but as long they didn't get in the way of my fishing let them carry on

Apart from lugging them to the swim most modern bivvies can be put up and handled as easily as a brolly and they are a lot more effective.

Some light hearted fun here in my opinion. On a serious note, what would you guys recommend as a shelter for venues which don’t permit a biviy but you plan to stay over night?

Some light hearted fun here in my opinion. On a serious note, what would you guys recommend as a shelter for venues which don’t permit a biviy but you plan to stay over night?
Trakker Tempest Brolly. I've got the V1 easy to erect, plenty of room for a bedchair if needed.
Or you could look at this https://www.cyprinus.co.uk/collections/umbrella-brolly-systems/products/rapide-mk2-55-brolly-sytem looks the same as the Aqua Fast and Light without the Aqua price tag.

A camper van! I think most places that actually allow night fishing don't have a problem with bivvies these days. It's going back a bit to the time when the sight of a bivvy used to mean somebody was in for a long haul and likely to hog or dominate the best swims. These days , as has been discussed, modern bivvies can be used like a brolly and the presence of a bivvy in a swim doesn't necessarily mean the occupant is there for days on end. I personally much prefer a bivvy to a brolly even on short sessions unless I'm mobile fishing. How many of us have actually kept completely dry under a brolly when the rain is incessant all day long?

Lots of good brollies that will take a bedchair and do the job adequately Stephen, just don’t but anything new as there are loads of bargains to had on Ebay. Wychwood do a Maximum Headroom (MHR) HD brolly which is good value and robust.

I’ve done a few nights recently just under the stars on my bedchair - can’t beat it when the weathers right.

I have often considered trying one of those small popup bivys as a lighter more compact alternative to lugging brollies around in my quiver. But then I remember that most of the swims I fish on the likes of the Trent wouldn't accommodate it anyway (hard to use a brolly in most of them). Such is the adversities of wild river fishing.

Lots of good brollies that will take a bedchair and do the job adequately Stephen, just don’t but anything new as there are loads of bargains to had on Ebay. Wychwood do a Maximum Headroom (MHR) HD brolly which is good value and robust.

I’ve done a few nights recently just under the stars on my bedchair - can’t beat it when the weathers right.
On maybe 4 or 5 overnighters I do go on. I generally take a brolly. The lighter the better. Last year I bought a wychwood mhr in 50 inch. I can get all my gear in and wrap the sides around my Trakker els levelite. One of the best bots of kit I bought last year.

Back