• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

looking for new rivers to fish

Ray Heath

right last two seasons I have fished verulum angling waters on the lea but I need a new challenge as I found it a bit to easy and not to much of a challenge ,
are there more clubs or syndicates on the lea around wheathampsted or that area and I really liked the lea as a river .
also as I am based in Suffolk I have considered Peterborough fishing club but am unsure as to the stocks of barbel there and I remember that some of there water was turned into a syndicate , any info please

ray

Why leave Verulam,they have a lot of stretches on the Ivel,ouse and also Fishers green if you want challenges.You can then always drop back to the Upper Lea when you want a confidence booster

Last edited:
Agree with Mark, if you want challenging, Fishers green, the Ouse fisheries and the Ivel stretches are all pretty challenging. The new club stretch of the Ivel is pretty much an unknown quantity and could hold some huge Barbel, the Otters can't have eaten them all surely?

Try the Suffolk Stour,The Chelmer or The Roding Barbel can be found in all of these rivers not easy but they are there if you know where to look;)

Hi Dave, sorry to hijack this, I have spoken to various tackle shops, Sudbury etc re the Suffolk Stour and they don't seem to know much (or claim not to) about the Barbel, I know that they were stocked but could do with some clues where to find them!

Sorry meant to mention - there are supposed to be some in the Little Ouse around Brandon as well, spoke to someone who claimed to have caught them to a decent size, I tried a couple of time to no avail though.

Hi Garry
I've not fished the Suffolk Stour for a good number of years and the Barbel captures even then were kept hush hush but Langham was one of the places they were caught but whether they are still there is another question.
http://www.caps.org.uk/langham.htm Have a look at this link it might give you more info.
They were also stocked by the LAA at Pitmore Lock some call it Pitmire Lock used to be a lovely fishery but i think it's a syndicate now.

Thanks Dave - I did ask CAPS if they would let me have a ticket for just the Rivers - but they weren't interested, bit expensive otherwise. I'll have another look!

Gary
I did notice that, not really surprised we hardly used to meet anyone else on most of the river sections anyway.
I remember back in the day myself and a mate had a massive catch of Bream from Wiston mill pool and we went back a few times after that but couldn't get a sniff of a Bream!!! Again we never saw anyone else fishing that stretch.

I only work a few minutes away from Brandon... The Little Ouse is interesting, I might have to have a look. Any controlling clubs to aim for?
It's a really tiresome drive from Lakenheath to Bedford on a Friday afternoon after work, a quick session while I'm out there would be much more preferable...

I do know that you used to see barbel at boxted mill I have also walked the river at pitmore lock and although it looked lovely never see any but not to say there are some there
so where are you from gary me I live in hadleigh and decided to fish Peterborough this year

I do know that you used to see barbel at boxted mill I have also walked the river at pitmore lock and although it looked lovely never see any but not to say there are some there
so where are you from gary me I live in hadleigh and decided to fish Peterborough this year
Ray
Some small Barbel were put in Pitmore lock by the late Ted Head these were quite small fish though.
I also saw a picture of a double caught from the stretch below Pitmore but this was more years ago than i care to remember.

Last edited:
I found this on the net it was from Feb 2003.
The initial stocking last year was carried out between Stoke-by-Clare and Boxted, and the latest exercise relates to fisheries at Brundon Mill and Mill Meadow, Sudbury; Pitmire, Cornard; lakes at Bures and the river near the Anchor pub at Nayland

Dan - re the barbel in Brandon, the only place I have been told they definitely are is in the pool behind the leisure centre, it carries a lot of water so they would be very hard to see though.

Hi Ray, I'm in Thetford and fished the Nene for a couple of seasons - really pretty river and really well run, takes over an hour but nothing seems worth fishing closer - penalty of living where we live I suppose!

i presume you have been fishing marford farm ?. peterborough & district angling association have three day ticket barbel waters on the nene at castor, alwalton and orton staunch. The average size at castor & alwalton is 10lb with specimens upto 16lb plus and orton they run up to 8-9lb and all venues have a smaller weights.
its certainly not easy as it may take you all season to catch what you would catch at marford in an afternoon. castor & alwalton are best suited to roving with minimal bait.
There is a one rod limit on all P&DAA backwaters with a minimim 30 inch landing net required also unhooking mats are compulsory.
strictly no night fishing and times are 1 hour before sunrise 1 hour after sunset as per the times on most weather apps.
all venues are bailiffed several times a day and during the night.
day tickets are £5 16-64 £3 65 & over
season books are £30 & £17
The only syndicate venues P&DAA have are at elton & nassington.

Took a look after work today at the Little Ouse at Brandon and at Santon Downham. What a gorgeous bit of water it is and only a few minutes from work! Gravel runs, deep pools, loads of streamer weed and overhangs.... A barbel paradise! It has got to be worth a cast or two in the new season. I've done a bit of Googling and it seems there are murmurs or stockings and captures over the years.

so is the little ouse at bradon and santon downham free to fish or controlled by a club?
yes mark fished marford farm lovely stretch of rive preferred the other stretch but its to easy and people catch the same fish even in the same session and I have joined Peterborough this year and looking forward to it

Back