• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel Tales by The Barbel Society

Reviews

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have just finished reading the new book from The Barbel Society called 'Barbel Tales' The book contains over 300 pages of stories,tips,tactics and everybody's favorite subject 'bait'.

The book starts with a couple of foreword's by two men who need no introduction, Fred Crouch and Peter Wheat and then moves on to a chapter by Steve Pope about the history of the Barbel Society and how and why it was formed and lists the founding members of the society. In the main the book is made up from the best articles that have been published over the years in 'Barbel Fisher' the society's magazine that it publishes twice a year but also has lots of new material for those who may have been members for a long time and may of already read some of the content.

The list of contributors to the book include Steve Pope,Fred Crouch,Phil Smith,Len Arbury,Pete Reading,Ade Kiddell,Dean Macey along with many more, in all over twenty different anglers from past and present go into making this book the good read that it is.

The fact that there are so many different authors covering different styles of fishing and different rivers throughout the UK made the book more interesting (to me anyway) than the normal run of the mill book which quite often can get a little stale halfway through. There is even a chapter on Dutch Barbel fishing.

As you'd expect it features some great photo's of our favorite quarry and the surrounding countryside and rivers that Barbel are found in. I found the book to be a good mix of practical articles and evocative stories that took me to the rivers edge on a summers evening. I particularly enjoyed reading those written by the not so known anglers that feature in the book.

I'm sure this book will be a big hit with Barbel anglers and will go on to be a collectors item and will be one that will stay in my collection for many years, a thoroughly enjoyable read.

There is a limited first edition run of only 1050 books, 50 of which are leather bound that are already sold out, the rest being hardbacks. Order now to insure you get a copy.

The book is priced at £35 and will be launched at this years Barbel Show held on June 9th or alternatively can be ordered online. For online orders and all the information on the 'Barbel Show' please visit

Barbel Society; Barbel fishing, Barbel angling and Barbel fisheries

Mark Walters

Back