• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Favorite fishing series/programme???

Unfortunately most of Angling Today was recorded on video and over written, so little of it remains, unless people with very early video recorders taped any.

The filmed bits, mostly reports from the Severn and a few other places the team visited and perhaps including some of LB himself, are held in the MACE, Media Archive for Central England. Sadly they haven't digitised any of these as you can see from this link.

They have digitised one interesting and related clip from the main news programme on which AT was a regular feature, a report of low water at Draycott reservoir...how times change, not.

Screaming reels......only joking A Passion For Angling, mentioned earlier a bit wee but the combination of Chris Yates and Bob James, Bernard Cribbins and Hugh Miles it worked to such an extent that non anglers could watch it without turning off.

Another reason it was not an advert for Shimano, Fox , TFG , korda, Guru etc

Passion for angling is by far the best fishing footage I have seen. It captured every aspect that makes fishing so great. I think the music was very well chosen and coupled with the fantastic film footage they get across what it's like to be sat there. It's also a great advert for our sport showing absolute respect for fish and the surroundings, even if they did break the odd branch falling into or out of bushes!

Hi Lol,
Terry Thomas's sidekick as I recall was a very young Chris Tarrant, always remember them fishing at Patsull in the days when Carp were a rarity!

You are dead right Paul, that's were I met Chris Tarrant for the first time, it was just about the time when Tiswas was starting up, Myself and Mick Brown and other members of the South Staffs Specimen Group did a programme on Eel fishing on the Worcester Canal, Tarrant was a good angler in those days and had cut his teeth on Chub and Carp fishing, we had numerous sessions on the lower Severn for Pike, last time I saw him was at Fred J's funeral and I have a copy of our programme, I believe all the other programmes were scrubbed ......happy days!

A Passion for Angling without a doubt, still watched on a regular basis.

I also liked the Great Rod Race with Matt Hayes and Mick Brown catching all the freshwater species.

Al

Its got to be Passion For Angling. So good I've converted it to MP4 and now have it on my iTouch for watching whilst travelling on business.

Catching the Impossible tries to improve on it but I always find myself thinking Hiugh Miles has tried to "remake" PFA with Martin but it just doesn't hit the spot for me.

I too am also still drawn to John Wilson - surprised he doesn't have chapped lips with all that lip licking he does!

Others in the frame are

Anything Henry Gilbey
Fishing Adventurer
Jungle Hooks (the thought of being in a plane crash and then fishing.............)
Total Fishing (the newer ones)
True Lies (Jamie Lee Curtis doing the "dance sexy" bit) - not exactly fishing but....

Not many votes for Rex Hunts Fishing Adventures! :p What happened to that? Great entertainment. :D

Number 1 for me would have to be the Go Fishing series. Passion for Angling and Catching the Impossible are both great viewing and anything by Henry Gilbey for entertainment value - especially when mullet fishing! The first Great Rod Race was a good laugh too.

Not many votes for Rex Hunts Fishing Adventures! :p What happened to that? Great entertainment. :D

Number 1 for me would have to be the Go Fishing series. Passion for Angling and Catching the Impossible are both great viewing and anything by Henry Gilbey for entertainment value - especially when mullet fishing! The first Great Rod Race was a good laugh too.

The great rod race is up there for me aswel

A bit of tone lowering oh dear lol.

A Passion for Angling for me. It never fails to inspire and remind me why I love angling. I love the music, misty cut scenes and banter.

I remember the first time I saw Go Fishing about 30 years ago. It amazed me that this bloke constantly had a bend in his rod, when mine was usually lifting small dace and roach out of the river. I still love the bit when he's fishing the Royalty and he hooks a splasher(ish) and looks like he's about to get dragged in :)

Cheers,

Andy
John Wilson fishes in Light Green Chest Waders - YouTube

1.Passion for Angling
2.The Great Rod Race
3.Day Ticket.
This was presented by two non professional anglers,Richard and Trevor,and captured the normal fishing banter between two mates on open to the public day ticket waters.I've an idea they won a competition,the prize being the making of this series.Saw Trevor at the Carp Show at Sandown Park last weekend.

A Passion for Angling, and Catching the Impossible are my favorites too, but harking back to when i was a boy, though it wasn't a dedicated fishing programme, Out of Town and Jack Hargreaves RIP have a special place in my heart :D
I remember listening intently to everything he said, and then practiceing on the bank, I loved that series, i wish they'd put it back on.

Ian.

day ticket, they were at INNS lake near me, now INNS is a lake where you need lick bottom to get in and a veolia water employee to even get near.

Last edited:
Remember day ticket vaguely and was bit of fishing with some banter , real fishing but definately Passion for Angling best closely followed by Catching the Impossible , anybody remember Screaming Reels ?

Remember day ticket vaguely and was bit of fishing with some banter , real fishing but definately Passion for Angling best closely followed by Catching the Impossible , anybody remember Screaming Reels ?

Yeah think i can remember screeming reels was it the head to head program?

Back