• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook types...

Julian Griffiths

I've not been properly fishing for a few seasons now, not like I use to be...

The choice of hook patterns kinda confuses me in that we have straight points, in turned eyed, offset eyed etc etc.

Most of which are geared to carp fishing & I get that.

Whats the preferred hook type for barbel using Flurocarbon, with a supple hair?

Whats the preferred hook type for Coated & uncoated braid please?

I know this probably belongs on the beginners section 😂 but I'm just putting it out there as a general question.

Cheers
Julian

Read the latest copy of ‘Carpology’. Interesting rig in there tied with Fluoro. BTW the author uses a hook with the eye bent nearly straight (the right answer to your Fluoro question).

Theres been loads of threads on hooks/rigs on here fairly recently. The responses seem to fall into 2 camps - either those that think anything to do with carp fishing is herecy and not relevant to barbel; OR those that think you can always design a better mousetrap…….

My barbel rigs vary from the very simple to the fairly complicated- so I sit firmly in the latter camp. And I admit to having fished for carp during certain (misguided?) periods of my angling journey.

"...those that think anything to do with carp fishing is herecy and not relevant to barbel"
I must have missed that post/poster (unless it was something to do with lead core), and I reckon every single member (and all the lurkers ) of BFW have fished for carp at some time in their angling life.
But to answer the OP ... this year I've been using Gripz (standard & wide gape) exclusively, and been very pleased with them.

Read the latest copy of ‘Carpology’. Interesting rig in there tied with Fluoro. BTW the author uses a hook with the eye bent nearly straight (the right answer to your Fluoro question).

Theres been loads of threads on hooks/rigs on here fairly recently. The responses seem to fall into 2 camps - either those that think anything to do with carp fishing is herecy and not relevant to barbel; OR those that think you can always design a better mousetrap…….

My barbel rigs vary from the very simple to the fairly complicated- so I sit firmly in the latter camp. And I admit to having fished for carp during certain (misguided?) periods of my angling journey.
Cheers Tim.👍

I must have missed that post/poster (unless it was something to do with lead core), and I reckon every single member (and all the lurkers ) of BFW have fished for carp at some time in their angling life.
But to answer the OP ... this year I've been using Gripz (standard & wide gape) exclusively, and been very pleased with them.
Thanks Terry.

I'm just interested in knowing which style of hook pattern suits Flurocarbon, uncoated braid, & Coated braid materials 😊

I’ve gone back to using Drennan Continental Boilie hooks. I like the way they ‘sit’ with a fluorocarbon hooklink, with their out turned eye. I think some of the stiffer/less supple fluoro or mono choices combined with the in-turned eyes of some of the main branded carp hooks can close the gape of the hook up a bit too much for my liking, but that’s just personal preference.

I think you can go a bit more aggressive with in turned eyes or curved shanks with uncoated braid or coated and stripped back for the last few inches. But I’ve not really used that combo of hook & hook link material. Hopefully others have and can advise more.

I use Nash Claws for anything soft braid or combi related. Great hook. They’re a good meat hook in the larger sizes when rolling or fishing a lump static too, in my opinion.

Bank Tackle Wide Gape, for either material, if I’m fishing over a harsher gravel bottom (or anything rocky), as they’re a bit cheaper than the 50p a hook branded jobbies, so I just swap ‘em out when they burr. I carry a little diamond file, but will most often just grab a new trace from the rig bin. The eye on those is slightly in-turned, so I find it’s a bit of a jack of all trades with my hooklink preferences.

Guru Super MWGs for maggot & caster or glued smaller pellets on a hair.

Always matched in size to the hook bait of choice.

I think it’s all about finding something that you’re confident in. Imagine you’ll get a few different opinions here and if you search the previous threads. There’s a lot of choice out there!

I’ve gone back to using Drennan Continental Boilie hooks. I like the way they ‘sit’ with a fluorocarbon hooklink, with their out turned eye. I think some of the stiffer/less supple fluoro or mono choices combined with the in-turned eyes of some of the main branded carp hooks can close the gape of the hook up a bit too much for my liking, but that’s just personal preference.

I think you can go a bit more aggressive with in turned eyes or curved shanks with uncoated braid or coated and stripped back for the last few inches. But I’ve not really used that combo of hook & hook link material. Hopefully others have and can advise more.

I use Nash Claws for anything soft braid or combi related. Great hook. They’re a good meat hook in the larger sizes when rolling or fishing a lump static too, in my opinion.

Bank Tackle Wide Gape, for either material, if I’m fishing over a harsher gravel bottom (or anything rocky), as they’re a bit cheaper than the 50p a hook branded jobbies, so I just swap ‘em out when they burr. I carry a little diamond file, but will most often just grab a new trace from the rig bin. The eye on those is slightly in-turned, so I find it’s a bit of a jack of all trades with my hooklink preferences.

Guru Super MWGs for maggot & caster or glued smaller pellets on a hair.

Always matched in size to the hook bait of choice.

I think it’s all about finding something that you’re confident in. Imagine you’ll get a few different opinions here and if you search the previous threads. There’s a lot of choice out there!
Cheers Alex some great pointers buddy 👍
I've tied some Fluro hooklinks over the years and they've looked diabolical with the choice of hooks I've used.
And so many patterns to choose from, which makes it difficult to narrow down if your just coming back to the sport after a few yrs off. 👍

I choose hook pattern according to bait not hook link material. For boilies and hair rig, I use curve shank hook, for bait goes on hook directly, wide gape hook. And Drennan Continental Boilie for large meat.

I pretty much use a a wide gape In turned eye for 90 percent of fishing beaked point that is. And fish a lot with coated braids.

If it’s a thick floro then an out turned eye but cant reamber a time I haven’t used a wide gape may be missing a trick but it works.

Nash claws for me.
They do an out turned eye version if your using em with a stiffer link but I use just the standard version for all my fishing on soft stripped back coated braid.

Good hooks , stay in very very well
Only gripe is they are probably too sharp.
One good snag and the point is done

Nash claws for me.
They do an out turned eye version if your using em with a stiffer link but I use just the standard version for all my fishing on soft stripped back coated braid.

Good hooks , stay in very very well
Only gripe is they are probably too sharp.
One good snag and the point is done
Nice shout that, just see they do a floata version that’s down to a size 12 same pattern but less metal work. Be a good tench hook amongst others !

Pleased with this thread, as made me check ebay for some D7 size 9s. Got two packs. Yippee.

ESP classic good hooks. I trust ESP.

I have some Grippers. Little bit heavy in the metal for me but happy to use for carp.

Rarely use flouro hooklinks, for coated braid and nylon I use Gardner specimen hooks…have also become a bit of a fan of Korum penetrators. I still have a few packs of old Fox series 3 hooks from yrs back I use on occasional Trent trips

Two patterns of hooks I wish were still available in original format have a few packs left and always had great confidence in these
Fox series 3 for Barbel and my all time favourite Chub hook was the series 2
… and then the Trevor West Partridge selection ( remember them?)
IMG_8446.jpegIMG_8447.jpeg

Two patterns of hooks I wish were still available in original format have a few packs left and always had great confidence in these
Fox series 3 for Barbel and my all time favourite Chub hook was the series 2
… and then the Trevor West Partridge selection ( remember them?)
View attachment 24841View attachment 24842
Yeah still have a few box's of those Trefor West partridge hooks, one hell of a barb on those hooks. He played for keeps I reakon 🤣

Gripz are a great choice
I use the wide gape on mono, fluoro and braid and no issues whatsoever
If I scale down for maggots or castor ( 12, 14 or 16) Drennan wide gape also never straightened one ever or lost many fish and cheap to replace and easy to source

Back