• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Barbel Books

I'm looking for a seriously good book for a friends Christmas present. Most of the ones I have go back well over ten years so need some advice on the best up to date ones.

I'm looking for a seriously good book for a friends Christmas present. Most of the ones I have go back well over ten years so need some advice on the best up to date ones.
Nothing much has changed regarding either the nature of barbel, or the catching of them, in the last ten years. So I doubt there’s any great revelations in anything published recently.

if your friend is interested in barbel biology and life cycle ( with a view to becoming a better angler, of course) then either The Nature of Barbel by Nick Giles ( not cheap, and out of print) or Understanding Barbel by Fred Crouch. The later I Think some on here didn’t rate too highly but I thought it was very good.

Anecdotal stuff, then as Ash suggests, anything by Tony Miles is good. A good anthology of writing then try Barbel Tales by various authors is also good.

Historical, then Jon Berry’s A can Of Worms Is excellent.

Nothing much has changed regarding either the nature of barbel, or the catching of them, in the last ten years. So I doubt there’s any great revelations in anything published recently.

if your friend is interested in barbel biology and life cycle ( with a view to becoming a better angler, of course) then either The Nature of Barbel by Nick Giles ( not cheap, and out of print) or Understanding Barbel by Fred Crouch. The later I Think some on here didn’t rate too highly but I thought it was very good.

Anecdotal stuff, then as Ash suggests, anything by Tony Miles is good. A good anthology of writing then try Barbel Tales by various authors is also good.

Historical, then Jon Berry’s A can Of Worms Is excellent.
'A Can of Worms' is a wonderful read imo. And quite unlike anything else out there in terms of laying out the history of barbel angling in the UK.

A lot depends on where the angler fishes. I like the Tony Miles and Chris Yates books, but paddling a rod length out checking for deeper holes with your landing net pole and working out how to Wallis-Cast a half ounce lead 40 yds down the Hampshire Avon won't be much use to someone who fishes the tidal Trent. Unless he wants to know how the other half lives.

Bit off the wall but what about The Mightiest Mahseer book by Harper fine angling books just out. You might find he has most of the others

At The Waters Edge by Martin James is an excellent book as is Redmire Pool by Kevin Clifford and Len Arberry. Both have been out a long time but great reading.

Avon days and stour ways is ace, a very well written book with many good stories told. The nature of barbel is a great insight into the life of barbel, again well written. Would recommend both highly.

We used to sell LOADS of barbel books. The Trevor West one sold well and also all the Tony Miles books.

There seems to be a huge gap in the market as I’m not aware of a recent ‘how to’ book being released for many years.

Maybe there’s not quite the market or interest these days to make it worthwhile? Everything I read nowadays is on a Kindle which although convenient, is pretty soulless. I can’t remember the last time I bought a physical book. How depressing.

Andy

We used to sell LOADS of barbel books. The Trevor West one sold well and also all the Tony Miles books.

There seems to be a huge gap in the market as I’m not aware of a recent ‘how to’ book being released for many years.

Maybe there’s not quite the market or interest these days to make it worthwhile? Everything I read nowadays is on a Kindle which although convenient, is pretty soulless. I can’t remember the last time I bought a physical book. How depressing.

Andy
Agree there Andy, I always try to buy physical vs kindle, kindle just isn’t the same

To answer the original question Elite Barbel and Quest for Barbel are my favourites but very dated now.

Back