• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New ruckbag recommendations.

Funny isn’t it, I think the lay flat design is awful, doesn’t suit my roving style on steep banks at all, I’ve got an Advanta rucksack and whilst I’ll admit the quality isn’t great the design suits me much better, I rarely ever go into the main compartment.
I take a short adjustable rod rest with a buzz bar with no heads with me if I'm going to take my ruckbag with me when fishing multiple swims. With that I can prop up/keep ruckbag flat to open/access on steep banks. Then again, for roving I generally have all my gear in my waistcoat pockets, bumbag, and Korum quiver (2 small bottles of drinks fit in outer zipped pockets easily).

Funny isn’t it, I think the lay flat design is awful, doesn’t suit my roving style on steep banks at all, I’ve got an Advanta rucksack and whilst I’ll admit the quality isn’t great the design suits me much better, I rarely ever go into the main compartment.
I have one of the older Korum Ruckbags and never lay it flat - I find I can pack it better and still easily reach anything I need when it's in an upright position.

I took delivery of the Korum Transitions ruckbag on Thursday, initially I thought it looked a bit big, but then I started packing bits into it and now it’s quite full. I looked at the Drennan and the Thinking Anglers ruckbags, but opted for the Korum as I know I can clip my Korum Supalite chair to it, which I also bought recently. The bag seems well made, plenty of room and it’s waterproof. The side pockets will get the most use, just need some smaller pouches now for terminal tackle, to keep in there

Tested it all out on Thursday, found it quite comfortable to carry apart from the chair knocking against my lower back a bit. Might have to play about with how I attach it for full comfort. It looks the part though and will mean I can travel longer distances with everything I might need for a session on the river.
882CB47C-815C-43AB-8745-614D16E9155E.jpeg

Thought at one time the Nash Nomad 35l bag was good apart from the open side pockets primarily intended for the Nash mini bags (leads and hook, Boilie and Rig Board bags etc). Served me well over the years. When I replaced the Nomad with another make, I got offered a brand new Nash Nomad Mk 2 Nomad - this model had the side pockets but with zip closures and a slightly increased capacity of approx 40l.
Bought it and stored it away and never used it. Must dig it out sometime.

Used a Cotswold Aquarius Pathfinder (fold down mat in front pocket) - a very nice bag but expensive.
Cheers
Bob

I have one of the older Korum Ruckbags and never lay it flat - I find I can pack it better and still easily reach anything I need when it's in an upright position.

Still use a (non-XL) Korum ruckbag I've had for over 10 years. Superb bit of kit; all the zips still working and in great condition. For short sessions the Fox tackle belt does the job.
I've seen the new Transition version and I'd go for that were I looking for a replacement.

David - how do you access it without laying it flat? Doesn't everything fall out?

I took delivery of the Korum Transitions ruckbag on Thursday, initially I thought it looked a bit big, but then I started packing bits into it and now it’s quite full. I looked at the Drennan and the Thinking Anglers ruckbags, but opted for the Korum as I know I can clip my Korum Supalite chair to it, which I also bought recently. The bag seems well made, plenty of room and it’s waterproof. The side pockets will get the most use, just need some smaller pouches now for terminal tackle, to keep in there

Tested it all out on Thursday, found it quite comfortable to carry apart from the chair knocking against my lower back a bit. Might have to play about with how I attach it for full comfort. It looks the part though and will mean I can travel longer distances with everything I might need for a session on the river.
View attachment 16073
I can’t physically get my arms in the straps when I’ve got my winter coat on with the chair in there. It just takes up too much space for the bigger blokes to use in thick winter clobber. My Korum chair is the mark 1 chair that came with the original roving kit. It’s got it’s own set of shoulder straps so I don’t need to use the bag straps over the chair.
one of my favorite bags at the moment is the foldasack
No silly pockets or anything complicated just a very spacious very flat bag that leaves everything to hand.
used it for my winter pike last year and immediately loved the design for its ease of access.
8370C2B8-F33B-4F14-946C-8E34F6BB5836.jpeg
31664814-61C5-43C9-BD35-C40F1331121F.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t physically get my arms in the straps when I’ve got my winter coat on with the chair in there. It just takes up too much space for the bigger blokes to use in thick winter clobber. My Korum chair is the mark 1 chair that came with the original roving kit. It’s got it’s own set of shoulder straps so I don’t need to use the bag straps over the chair.
No silly pockets or anything complicated just a very spacious very flat bag that leaves everything to hand.
used it for my winter pike last year and immediately loved the design for its ease of access. View attachment 16078View attachment 16079
Jeez don’t you just hate organised peeps🤣 my bag looks like Steptoe’s yard compared with yours Rich and I thought it quite tidy 😱

Jeez don’t you just hate organised peeps🤣 my bag looks like Steptoe’s yard compared with yours Rich and I thought it quite tidy 😱
To be fair it’s the bag not me. Those are just items placed in the big compartment without much thought. Because every thing is accessible when it’s open, it’s dead easy to keep it reasonable. If it was an upright bag with those items on top of one another the picture would look very different with all my crap scattered across the bank.
I just really like the advantages around very low flat bags.
the only time it’s not that useful is for a bit of wild fishing where you make yourself fit into a peg among the vegetation and there isn’t much space to lay a bag like that out properly. You need almost a good metre by half next to you to lay that out properly and if you haven’t got that then a vertical bag would be more useful definitely

Last edited:

View attachment 16073
Is their cushioning on the seat of that chair?

I jettisoned my ruckbag for a Korum carryall some years back, because I found that I was carrying way to much tackle for a day session. Picking a carryall forced me to take only what I needed for the day, rather taking everything for every eventuality.

used it for my winter pike last year and immediately loved the design for its ease of access. View attachment 16078View attachment 16079
I know what you mean about the straps. Iv brought the light weight korum recliner chair this year and with the straps fully extended it’s tight. Gonna be interesting in winter with extra layers on

I know what you mean about the straps. Iv brought the light weight korum recliner chair this year and with the straps fully extended it’s tight. Gonna be interesting in winter with extra layers on
That’s the flaw to that design and they could so easily resolve it with another 6 inch on the straps.
im not small by any means at 6,1 and 16 stone but I’m a size they should probably cater for.
its fine in a tee shirt or a jumper but once I’ve got my winter cozy’s on there’s no bloody chance.
Its like squeezing the Michelin man into some kinky night wear……not a great look

There is some cushioning on the back rest but not on the actual seat. It’s comfy enough though, certainly for short roving sessions. Not sure you’d find it suitable for an all nighter/day session. It would need a taller back so I could rest my head, for me.
Thanks. My bum needs cushioning. 😎

That’s the flaw to that design and they could so easily resolve it with another 6 inch on the straps.
im not small by any means at 6,1 and 16 stone but I’m a size they should probably cater for.
its fine in a tee shirt or a jumper but once I’ve got my winter cozy’s on there’s no bloody chance.
Its like squeezing the Michelin man into some kinky night wear……not a great look
image.jpg

Just looking at it now. As you can unclip the strap I guess you could always add your own extension piece to make the straps longer

Looking for a new ruckbag approximately 40/50 litres capacity to replace my old Korum bag which has lasted for years but the main compartment zip has busted.
Im not to bothered about bank stick side holders gimmicks. I’d rather have straps and clips for an unhooking mat etc.
Waterproof base,.. preferably all WP with intelligent compartments .
Ive looked online as you do, but recommendations from those who have field tested a few would be helpful.
Here’s the old workhorse.....

View attachment 16061
Try the new korum bag
I have the day bag bit smaller but i get everything in it i need when i go has plenty of room and clips for mats ect

Back