• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

I agree with Terry on this, can't the moderators remove the posts which are off topic and request the members involved not to post like this on a general forum.
I think that post #350 was intended as a gentle warning, which should be heeded.
The problem with modifying and removing posts is that the thread can loose any continuity or flow it may have.
It also takes a lot moderator time and to be honest we have lives as well. Edited, moved etc posts can be time consuming.
Personally, it saddens me when people don't seem to be able to behave, play nicely or even leave things alone once in a while.

Cheers
Bob

Well I was 70 yesterday, and tbh this has clouded what was supposed to be a bit of an occasion, I am not perfect, just human, I didn't expect that big old girl to show, it was one of those moments we all have in Angling, it what we do and why we do it. I was was in awe of the fish, such fine condition and she deserved a mention on here, however it soon turned nasty, but the thing is that fish was a gift, you know what I mean, you have flashbacks, the bend in the rod, the fight and the gasp you give at the size laying in the net, that is my memory of the day, not these comments on here.
Don't now how many more of those days I will be allowed, but if I was to hang up my rods tomorrow, I will still have that moment, any Barbel angler will know, i do regret upsetting some, I knew by posting it up I would, but those who do know me would also perhaps know that I care beyond what is sane about fish welfare.
Thanks.

Many happy returns for yesterday Neil.

In many ways these forums hide so much if you do not know the individual. When Neil mentioned he was 70 ( belated congrats BTW) I was flabbergasted, I thought, given the posts, 50s at most...before anyone starts I am not suggesting we now have an age guessing game...its just one of those leftfield things that stood out for me. :eek::eek::eek:

Belated happy birthday Neil.

70 eh?, no wonder you have so much time on your hands posting on the forum :D:p

Ever stopped to think that this is now the EIGHTH decade of your life? t'is mine too ;)

Belated happy birthday Neil, I'll be joining you on that number shortly before the season opens again next year, let's hope we have a better start weather wise.
All the talk of rain seems to be confined to the south, here on the Welsh border we have had some, but it didn't start until about 10pm last night and dry again this morning, hoping for better from the next weather front!

Belated happy birthday Neil.

70 eh?, no wonder you have so much time on your hands posting on the forum :D:p

Ever stopped to think that this is now the EIGHTH decade of your life? t'is mine too ;)
Stop and think... Me?
Still work a bit too Paul, on my birthday I chopped down a neighbours tree, you can getvawayvwith a lot at this age.:D

Another belated happy birthmas Neil.

I meant to post this much earlier in the thread, but with the debate getting quite heated at some points I purposely stayed away for a little while until things calmed down a bit. Anyway...

I think there is something else that maybe some of the more...to be diplomatic let's say "experienced" members need to remember - an awful lot of us don't have the luxury of being able to go fishing when we want and not worry too much about taking two whole months off because we're paying a lot less for our fishing privileges. Some of us need to grab the opportunity to fish when we can, both because it could be the ONLY opportunity we get (work, family, whatever) and because we're otherwise wasting our licence money by not going (and another thing to remember that the full adult price for a club can often be significantly more than "just" double the amount of a senior citizen). Appreciate that the welfare of the barbel (or any other fish) is a bit more of a different moral matter than that, but if someone thinks the conditions are right in their particular locale on their particular stretch of river, then maybe bear in mind the opportunist mindset.

I've only been to the river twice so far this season - once on the 16th (no barbel), and once a couple of weeks ago, specifically targeting tiddlers with a light float set-up and maggots. The main reason I haven't done much else has more to do with work and family matters than any moral standpoint on my part, but I can see it from both sides.

I think we all just need to accept differences of opinion and keep the discussion as level headed as possible, even if that means we have to acknowledge, if not agree with a differing viewpoint.

As I said in another thread - let's just all hug and get along now, yeah?

Another belated happy birthmas Neil.

I meant to post this much earlier in the thread, but with the debate getting quite heated at some points I purposely stayed away for a little while until things calmed down a bit. Anyway...

I think there is something else that maybe some of the more...to be diplomatic let's say "experienced" members need to remember - an awful lot of us don't have the luxury of being able to go fishing when we want and not worry too much about taking two whole months off because we're paying a lot less for our fishing privileges. Some of us need to grab the opportunity to fish when we can, both because it could be the ONLY opportunity we get (work, family, whatever) and because we're otherwise wasting our licence money by not going (and another thing to remember that the full adult price for a club can often be significantly more than "just" double the amount of a senior citizen). Appreciate that the welfare of the barbel (or any other fish) is a bit more of a different moral matter than that, but if someone thinks the conditions are right in their particular locale on their particular stretch of river, then maybe bear in mind the opportunist mindset.

I've only been to the river twice so far this season - once on the 16th (no barbel), and once a couple of weeks ago, specifically targeting tiddlers with a light float set-up and maggots. The main reason I haven't done much else has more to do with work and family matters than any moral standpoint on my part, but I can see it from both sides.

I think we all just need to accept differences of opinion and keep the discussion as level headed as possible, even if that means we have to acknowledge, if not agree with a differing viewpoint.

As I said in another thread - let's just all hug and get along now, yeah?

Very true Steve, hopefully a line has been drawn under this now....

With the extra water and cooler temps, I did venture out this evening, on the Avon, not the BA the WA.:rolleyes: I against my better judgement plonked myself down on a peg that hasn't produced for me in the last few seasons, but thought it saves a bit of a walk, an hour or so in a nice enthusiastic young chap came by and was obviously disappointed that I was in 'his' peg... I said to him try the lower pegs, I told him of the 'mug' Barbel I had out three time at 12'8 (ish) and all my mates have had her as well... so to speak. :eek:

He said he was new to barbel fishing and never had a double.

At dusk he came back and reported together with a picture of...you guessed it, she came out at 12.8. He was 'over the moon' I was genuinely made up for him, seeing that beaming smile on his face.

Priceless.

Back