• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

Re-reading my old posts I can see that I quit too soon, having let the eels get the better of me.

Next trip out is Sunday evening, again on the river.

Last edited:
Thought I'd try somewhere else today. Bit slow if I'm honest but the single fish I had, in a daylight only session, was 6/7lb -

Last edited:
Last night on the river drew a Zander blank :( They've gone into hiding mate.

The good news though - very little eel interest. So maybe the snigs have taken note of these cooler temps :)

I won't be on the river again 'till next week.

Last edited:
Well with the river unfishable right now I had to revert to the back up venue. Fished 11-6 and had 3 fish (2 Zeds and 1 Pike) all around 3lb :eek:

If I ever get a double out of there it will be a miracle

I may be trying again tomorrow though :(

Its probably reflecive of other 'similar' waters Steve? I really should be a bit more pioneering and spend time on other areas as its such a big water, but with the lure (excuse the pun) of the 7rn and, in my experience, very few micro's, its probably not going to happen. Can't complain though, its quite a handy back-up venue.

Actually having said that, if Sabrina don't get back in her banks for a while ...............

Last edited:
But not today ..................

I found my usual 'close to home' pegs very coloured after yesterdays rain and after a couple of hours lost confidence. So I figured a trip to another area a good idea.

On the new area, fishing deads, I had 8 hits, of which only 3 took any line, and only 1 fish was hooked/banked - about 2lb :eek:

Place is crawling with Micro's :mad::D

Just back from a 24 hr river session targetting what ever was about really, and can report my FIRST lure caught RIVER ZED :) This one (of the three that have been hooked :mad:) totally engulfed a 5" Big Hammer Atomic Punk Shad. In fact I was a bit worried seeing it approaching the net as the trace looked a lot shorter than I remembered it being earlier :eek: , fortunately though the stinger wasn't embedded, only the main hook. It went about 5lb.

I also had a Shad's paddle stolen by another fish. :(

I tried deads out in the strong flow, but without joy.

Steve

Yep they were defo about but wouldn't or couldn't pick up a dead. I'm not sure my presentation was great though. Poss needs a bit of work.

Had an afternoon on the cut today. One Zed of 6.12. That's my 4th 6lb+ from here. Desperate for something bigger :D

New canal PB

Desperate to get back on the river but not whilst its carrying this extra water. :(

Steve

Last edited:
What a difference a day makes !

Same swim, same method, same time period, same baits (well, same species - you know what I mean) same, same, same .................except the catch. :(

1 Pike (8lb) Sort of proves the theory of Zeds following the fish shoals. I didn't get any hits/dropped takes or even liners from silvers like yesterday. It was totally dead.

I've not posted for a while as the fish I've been catching from the cut have been a bit on the small side :eek:

Today though was better. I had a new canal PB of 7.11 and 3 other Zeds roughly 5/4/2 and a Pike probably close to a double. All fish came to ledgered Bleak deadbaits. Further hits/drops/liners kept me very active :D

steve-cole-albums-fish-picture4079-canal-pb-7-11-15oct12-bfw.jpg

The smallest Zed had undergone unofficial tagging through its dorsal with a red cable tie :mad: Why would anyone want to do that ?

Desperate to get back on the river but not whilst its carrying this extra water. :(

Steve

Not sure about the 'tagging':mad:, but looks a tad foggy where you were fishing......;)

Had a quick dash 'n' splash down on the lower last evening....managed 3 small Zeddies around the 5-6lb mark and all on small livies....water in the main river was up and coloured but I found a nice slack to present the baits in - lovely ;)

Paul

Back