• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spliced tipped float rods.

Spliced tips for river float fishing

• Total voters
I tend to agree. However, people still talk about them as if they are. I sold mine, partly because of the screw up reel seat and partly due to them being unsuited to the bulk of my fishing (grayling in fast, shallow, water). I found them to be better suited to the deeper steady water of the Trent, even for smaller fish.
Chris , if you can find one a Drennen Matchpro Ultralite Waggler is sublime for grayling , imho .

Chris , if you can find one a Drennen Matchpro Ultralite Waggler is sublime for grayling , imho .

Far too soft and through actioned for my preferences I'm afraid. I suspect my search for my ideal ended with the Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River rods.

I don’t use main lines of less than 4lb and hook lengths of less than 0.14. I’m always fishing for bigger better fish when I’m trotting.
The splice for me isn’t to provide hook length protection even if that was their initial idea when first put into light action rods.

I have a lot more hollow tips than I do spliced due to availability more than anything else but definitely for me the whole experience of trotting is nicer with a solid fine tip.

Rod technology hasn’t replaced it.
It certainly did for me and couldn't imagine using a spliced tip now, I think the last time was in the 80's. I too rarely use fine lines anymore but even on those rare occasions I feel absolutely no need for a spliced tip, I don't know what it would give me that a modern (after 1990!) hollow rod tip does not? With pretty good quality low tensile carbons mixed with higher tensile carbons the rod action can be produced to do what you want. The rod can remain fast action and rigid for striking but more through action to play a fish. With the heavier gear I am now using for most of my fishing, remaining a fast action when striking and setting the often rather large hook and then, not easily locking up is what I need. The only rods that will not lock up were the Carbotec's due to the step taper design. If there is a market for them OK but it's not for me!

Back