• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scales

I'm about the same - I've accumulated loads over the years. Ironically the more scales I have , the less fish I actually weigh nowadays.
I thought the flyweights would be perfect but I dont think they lasted a season. But something that size and weight but with some robust innards would be perfect.

Yeah , you're probably right thinking about it. I'm struggling to think on any I'd trust more than Avons?
A few yars ago I invested in Electro Samsons which I hoped would be my ' forever' scales. Worked fine at first and cross checked against other scales they were bang on. Then I caught a big chub, weighed it and it was a big 7 on the Electro Samsons. I was elated but...it didn't stack up.
Reset them, weighed again and got an insulting 5lb odd... Weighed again...6lb something
At this point I gave up and returned this fish, to this day I don't know what it actually weighed but ive had enough of them to know it was a good 6.
On the same day, I dropped them and that as they say, was that - £50 down the swanny.
Only thing with Avons is I find that I can only use lightweight weigh slings. By this I mean I will hang a wetted sling off the scales and zero them before weighing the fish. If the sling is too heavy they won't zero correctly and can weigh ' heavy'.
Normally only a problem if using retaining/ pike slings. When piking I use RH biggies, which I also rate highly.

Same, I zero them to read 1lb and knock 1lb off the end result. I've tried it with a 4oz, 6oz etc "zero" and weighed the same item and got the same results after deducting the "zero"!

I bought a set of flyweights which I checked against a set that I knew to be accurate, they were a few ounces out so I returned them and called the shop asking them to check the replacements weighed the error in difference, they did and were spot on when I got them. They've recently started sticking between zero and a true result, I'm going to have them in bits and try to service them, they were good for years!

I had a set of RH flyweights which I weighed a big barbel on at 16lb then discovered that they were sticking by at least a pound, something they had never done before! Still have a pair of 32lb Avons which are just a bit too bulky and not large enough in equal measure to be used everywhere. I bought a set of Wychwood digital scales upto 60lb when I joined a local carp pit a few years ago (incidentally, wouldn’t have been enough had I been lucky😂) and the bloody things are awful.
I too need another set…..

I've just bought a set of these and checked them against my avons. They weigh exactly the same! I never thought I'd go digital but for £16 I thought they were worth a punt.

One advantage I can think of straight off the bat is the tare function, I'm a stickler for accuracy and I zero my scales to my weigh sling with every fish, a slightly wetter sling weighs slightly more etc. No messing about with these, wet the sling, hang on the scale and tare it, I think I'm going to like them.

Back