• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Return to fishing

Craig Marsden

I’m looking at returning to barbel fishing after over 10 years away. I originally gave up after all my gear was stolen and I was unable to afford to replace it all. I’ve now decided I want to return but being on a budget I’m unsure if the cheap Korum rods on eBay are a worthwhile purchase. Has anyone used these or can anyone recommend anything in a similar price range (c£60)?

I’m looking at returning to barbel fishing after over 10 years away. I originally gave up after all my gear was stolen and I was unable to afford to replace it all. I’ve now decided I want to return but being on a budget I’m unsure if the cheap Korum rods on eBay are a worthwhile purchase. Has anyone used these or can anyone recommend anything in a similar price range (c£60)?
Welcome back mate. Hope you have the season of your life mate! 😊👍

Hi Craig, that first fish is going to feel pretty special.

If I was in your position and ended up buying a rod I'd probably go with Daiwa or Fox at that price. Perhaps things have changed but I have never picked up a Korum rod and thought I would enjoy using it. Where as I've always been quite impressed with the other two brands at that sort of price.

The Tackle Tavern usually have a selection of good used barbel rods (and loads of other 'pre-loved' gear) and postage is free for purchases over £30.00.

Got a rod and reel sitting there waiting for him to collect if he wants them. By no means top of the range, ( although the reel is a shimmy 3500b with a minor fault ), but more than suitable to get him back up and running. Just waiting to hear back from him. 🤷‍♂️

Back