• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Diawa certate 24

Hello Robert,
I have a pair of Certate 16s and they are lovely reels except for an annoying habit of line getting behind the spool, however looking at the 24s it looks like they have added a device to stop this, if that is the case I am sure they will be spot on.

Hello Robert
I have not played with the latest Certate but do have older Certate and Saltigas. They are great quality and very smooth when playing fish. The biggest issue may be that some models of Certate and all Saltigas do not backwind.

If you use the clutch which is superb for fighting fish you will not have a problem but some people like to back wind. I have used the saltigas for offshore big game fish and they are designed not to backwind because pelagic fish have such speed that you could seriously cut yourself, break your fingers or your wrist trying to stop the reel spinning, or get a tangle with 80 or 120 lbs PE line could pull the rod out your hand. You could need a couple of spare spools and these are around £150 each.

Daiwa make some great spinning reels that are big enough for barbel fishing and that are much more suited to uk barbel. I still use Caldias that you can upgrade if you want but they do not have a fast drag or bait runner fitted. If you are still interested there are a couple of Japanese sites that have all the stuff you could want. E.g. Plat who I buy from.

Back