• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hello.

Martin Osmond

Senior Member & Supporter
Thought I'd better introduce myself as I forgot when I signed up, considering there's no hiding behind funny usernames I figured you may as well have a bit of background and put a face to the name.

I grew up fishing my local River Blackwater but got seriously into carp fishing when I was about 18. Its more than a hobby, it's a passion, a way of life. It's what I do. All my mates are anglers and if I'm not fishing I'm up the lake. At least I was up until about 5 years ago when I fell out of love with it. It's changed so much in the last 23 years since I've been fishing it's unrecognisable. All the fish I grew up wanting to catch are now dead, all the lakes destroyed and for the 'privelage' of fishing them in today's world you have to spend a small fortune and fight for a swim, if your even lucky enough to get on a waiting list.

Ironically I've actually had some extraordinary carp the last 5 years but it's become something I enjoy less and less so a couple of years ago I went back to my routes and decided I wanted to catch a double figure barbel from the Blackwater, which I did quite quickly. I then went on to fish for Crucians and Perch, wanting to catch particular sized fish of specific species. I had a great time but got the carp fishing bug again and so spent last year targeting them but it just didnt do it for me and remembered thinking to myself that the best fishing I have had over the last 5 plus years, minimum, was the short spell of barbel fishing I did. It sort of felt like carp fishing did back in the day, it was me against the fish, not me against the number of anglers and how much money they can waste on unnecessary amounts of bait. I felt like I was angling again and not just throwing rods out and sitting on my hands waiting for a one of my Neville's to scream off.

It suits me as I'm not a time bandit, I do get lots of time to go fishing just limited to one night a week and it makes catching the sort of fish I want to very difficult. Short, early morning or late afternoon/evening sessions I can do much more regularity and as I'm a train driver I get a lot of time off during the week and don't ever fish weekend. That's family time.

Anyway, I'm sure you get lots of new members on here and some of you, no doubt, think here comes another carp angler but I'm of a particular mindest,. The single most important thing for me is the fish's welfare and scrolling through this forum it's evident that most on here are of a similar mindest so please don't judge me as a pot noodle carp angler but as just an angler that cares more about being outside, just being there and if I'm lucky enough to catch something then it's a bonus. In my 'prime' I fished a lake of 16 acres that held 12 carp, I caught three one year, about 50 nights and it is up there with my best ever seasons.

Anyway, I've always said you can tell a lot about the man the way he holds a fish so......
IMG_20231005_194943.jpg
20231215_193008.jpg
IMG_20231005_233943.jpg
IMG_20231005_224259.jpg
IMG_20231005_233814.jpg
20231201_205649.jpg
20160803_093319-1.jpg

Hi Martin,
Welcome. You are among friends here , mate. Nice to hear your ‘back story’, just keep on enjoying your fishing and you won’t go far wrong. Thanks for posting,
G.T.

Hi mate, welcome to the best fishing forum on the web. Don’t know whether you have ever fished the Hampshire Avon but I am willing to bet it is right up your street.
Funnily enough I've got a mate that lives 2 minutes from beat 1 of Throop so he knows that area like the back fo his hand. I've not finished anywhere down there yet but will be getting a Christchurch and or Ringwood ticket for the start of the season. I plan on fishing the Loddon or Balckwater for short sessions but go down to the Avon or Stour once a week for 24 hours.

The Loddon and Blackwater mainly mate, I love small, intimate, snaggy, low stocked rivers.

Just for your Loddon dreams

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum. Nice write up mate, appreciate you taking the time to introduce yourself. Indeed most here are of similar values and it is indeed an old school forum in a new world of social media. Hope you enjoy it.

Good luck and tight lines.

Hi Martin. Welcome.
The great thing about fishing are the various "disciplines" involved. I have never been one to fish specifically for big carp, preferring instead what is sometimes called "pleasure angling". The name sums it up!
The only time I "target" a species is when I fish the Wye for barbel. Otherwise, I just wander the riverbank with a 15' float rod, centrepin and use trotting techniques to catch dace, roach, rudd, perch, the odd trout etc.
During the close season I have a small Norfolk lake I fish for tench.
Whatever your style of fishing there's nothing better is there?

Hi Martin,
Judging by your photos I think I used to fish in the same area , albeit a few years before you 😁
Loddon and Blackwater are my favourite rivers, like you say......low stocked but still very worth fishing 👍
Cheers,
Steve

Back